Functional Safety Manager
Codeplay is looking for a Functional Safety Manager from an automotive software background to help deliver the software tools for Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) and self-driving cars. This is an exciting role for someone from a safety critical software development background to work in a cross-disciplinary team of experts in different fields to deliver the automotive safety technologies of tomorrow. Codeplay has built up years of expertise and technology in the acceleration techniques that underpin the AI revolution, as well as a range of partnerships across industry to deliver solutions to customers. Our recent partnership with the Foresight and Williams Advanced Engineering provides the funding, our partnership with Renesas provides the R-Car automotive processing platform, and our partnerships with industry standards bodies such as Khronos and MISRA ensures our products are industry-standard.
Codeplay is developing a safety-critical software platform for accelerating AI and machine vision on highly parallel automotive processors. This will be based on Codeplay's existing ComputeAorta™ and ComputeCpp™ products, but with changes necessary given the safety assurances. The product will include a compiler and parallel scheduler for acceleration on AI processors. The Functional Safety Manager will be responsible for considering the safety features and processes necessary to provide safety for this software platform. There will be external partnerships and consultants helping to deliver the complete product. Codeplay is fully committed to providing safe products for automotive uses, following industry-standard automotive safety processes.
The position is permanent and will be based at our office in central Edinburgh. The successful candidate must, by the start of their employment, have permission to work in the UK.We welcome applications from candidates with a background in the military, aerospace and/or electronics sector.Salary range: Competitive & Negotiable.
- Accountable for functional safety in all Codeplay safety-critical projects.
- Develop and drive the ISO 26262 process for software development within the company.
- Collaborate with project managers, development team and customers on functional safety.
- Conduct internal and external confirmation reviews with product teams to ensure functional safety standards are being met throughout product development cycles.
What We OfferCodeplay is internationally recognized as being at the forefront of software development technology. Working at Codeplay offers unique opportunities and challenges to learn new technologies and to get involved in shaping the software industry. Codeplay's projects range from: creating tools and tool sets (optimizing compilers, debuggers, profilers, programming models & APIs, test systems/suites, etc.) for brand-new unannounced next-generation hardware; developing and optimizing current machine learning (TensorFlow™) and computer vision applications; research and development into lowering the power consumption of mobile devices; and contributing to new programming models and software standards (e.g. C++, SYCL™, OpenCL™, Vulkan® and SPIR™-V).
Codeplay is an active contributor in the community for the Clang, LLVM and LLDB open-source compiler and debugger projects. Our engineers are also leading the effort to bring support for machine learning with TensorFlow to OpenCL-enabled devices, by adding support for SYCL (the C++ high-level programming model built on OpenCL) to the open-source codebase. We are building an ecosystem around the SYCL standard, including public projects for computer vision, linear algebra, and C++ parallel programming APIs - see https://github.com/codeplaysoftware. If you are excited about contributing to programming tools that will be used by developers worldwide, please get in touch!
- Work on exciting brand-new technologies and standards with well-recognized customers.
- Help to shape the future of the industry by contributing to open-source software, standardization efforts and Codeplay's products.
- A friendly and relaxed working environment where colleagues respect and support each other. You will be working in a diverse team of creative and talented engineers from around the world.
- Learn from experienced engineers: our staff frequently give company-wide knowledge-sharing presentations on new software and technology trends, personal projects and other relevant subjects.
- Work on modern code bases using recent tools, with the freedom to choose platforms and tools to get the job done.
- Great career prospects within a growing company.
- We develop our engineers to progress quickly in their roles, to take ownership of code, become technical experts, and/or lead teams. We provide training in skills such as project and people management, networking and delivering effective presentations.
- Opportunities to get involved in Codeplay's very active research, enabling you to make an impact on the company's technology and future direction, and establish your industrial research track record by contributing to papers and publications.
- Frequent opportunities to attend major worldwide industry conferences and developer meetings, represent the company, and become a recognized expert.
- Codeplay has attained Silver Level Accreditation with Investors In People as an excellent employer.
- Flexible working hours, stock options and pension scheme.
Any application which results in a job offer is conditional upon the candidate already having or successfully applying for the right to work in the UK. Codeplay is proud to be an Equal Opportunities employer. We celebrate and value diversity .We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, regardless of race, colour, gender, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, age, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need and we strongly encourage applicants from all backgrounds and walks of life.
- Frequent company social events (social nights, pot luck lunches, gaming, karting, outdoor adventures, ...).
Required SkillsThe ideal candidate is a self-motivated individual who can work through problems from start to finish, meet deadlines as required to support software projects, and has the ability to work under pressure. You will be working on technology that is seldom announced to the public and could be several years away from public release, so confidentiality is critical. You should be able to work both independently and collaboratively within teams of varying and differing skill sets and expertise. You should be welcoming towards and able to adapt to the introduction of new technologies, responsibilities and projects, as Codeplay works with cutting-edge technology and takes on a diverse range of projects.
- Have a degree in Electronics, Software or Systems Engineering or similar discipline.
- You will be a very experienced Functional Safety Manager following the ISO 26262 functional safety process for software development.
- Knowledge of working to IEC 61508 or DO-178C or DO-178B
- Be enthusiastic about taking on new challenges, including use of new technologies and close interaction between cutting-edge processing hardware and software.
- Demonstrate the ability to help an existing team focused on consumer software develop into a team capable of producing safe automotive software. This will include bringing in relevant training and consultants.
- Be experienced with interacting with customers in engineering projects.
- Experienced in balancing documentation requirements and designs and keeping them up-to-date with the resources available.
- Demonstrate and apply the most robust and disciplined software development methods, not necessarily the latest methods.
- Key activity will be requirement management & traceability
- Solid knowledge of ISO 26262 work products from vehicle to software unit level
- Knowledge of software metrics (this goes a bit further than MISRA C++)
- Thorough knowledge of software verification and integration technique
- Sound knowledge of inductive analysis (e.g. FMEA) and deductive analysis (e.g. FTA) techniques
Beneficial SkillsKnowledge and/or experience of a few of the following areas is helpful, but not required as the team will work together to deliver the complete products:
- Agile development environment using SCRUM or Kanban
- MISRA C++
- OpenCL, SYCL or other GPGPU language
- Parallel programming techniques
- Artificial intelligence and machine vision
- Public speaking
Application GuidanceThe Cover Note/Letter is just as important as your CV/Resume, so please include one, stating why you believe you are a good fit for the position. If you have examples of your own software projects, we would love to see them, so please include links to them in your application.
Submit an Application
Please fill in the forms below to the best of your ability. Don't forget to add any relevant links to GitLab, BitBucket etc! Personal projects are a big win for your application.
Open for Applications