We are looking for an experienced QA Engineer to document and improve the testing of our products, so they can be used in a safety critical application, such as in an autonomous vehicle.
Codeplay is known for implementing OpenCL™ and SYCL™ runtimes and compilers for their customers' acceleration platforms. Now we aim to target customers in the automotive sector, who aim to run highly complex AI algorithms on their accelerators, which will provide advanced driving assistance (ADAS) and autonomous driving (AD) features to make our roads safer. To support these customers Codeplay needs to adhere to safety standards, which demand a high level of test coverage and a variety of testing techniques, as well as documentation thereof.
Your job is to analyse and document what testing we perform now and what gaps remain. This involves reading and understanding complex, modern C++ code. You will develop plans to expand automated testing to achieve more coverage and incorporate a larger variety of techniques, working with the safety team to determine requirements. You will research the latest testing tools, frameworks and techniques.
In the future there may be an opportunity for you to acquire a team of testers to help you put your plans into action.
Please Note: Due to COVID-19 we are following the Scottish Government Roadmap and, although we are operating normally, the office is closed and we are all working from home.
The successful candidate should be able to work from home for the duration of the office closure. The position is permanent and may be based at our head office in central Edinburgh. The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate the right to work in the UK, or be eligible to apply for the right to work, should relocation be an agreed option. Although the nature of the role will ordinarily require being office-based, we will consider and evaluate requests for remote working post-COVID.
Salary : Competitive & Negotiable
What We Offer
Codeplay is internationally recognized as being at the forefront of software development technology. Working at Codeplay offers unique opportunities and challenges to learn new technologies and to get involved in shaping the software industry. Codeplay's projects range from: creating tools and tool sets (optimizing compilers, debuggers, profilers, programming models & APIs, test systems/suites, etc.) for brand-new unannounced next-generation hardware; developing and optimizing current machine learning (TensorFlow™) and computer vision applications; research and development into lowering the power consumption of mobile devices; and contributing to new programming models and software standards (e.g. C++, SYCL™, OpenCL™, Vulkan® and SPIR™-V).
Codeplay Software is a world pioneer in enabling acceleration technologies used in AI, HPC and automotive. Codeplay was established in 2002 in Edinburgh, Scotland and developed some of the first tools enabling complex software to be accelerated using graphics processors. Today, most AI software is developed using graphics processors designed for video games, and more recently specialised AI and computer vision accelerators. Codeplay continues to work with global technology leaders to make the latest complex AI systems programmable using open-standards based programming languages and allows application developers to quickly bring software to the market. Codeplay is also deeply involved with the definition of open standards, especially OpenCL™, SPIR™, SYCL™, and Vulkan™ through The Khronos Group, and MISRA C++ for automotive.
- A friendly and relaxed working environment where colleagues respect and support each other.
- Learn from experienced colleagues: our staff frequently give company-wide knowledge-sharing presentations on new software and technology trends, personal projects and other relevant subjects.
- Great career prospects within a growing company
- We develop our staff to progress quickly in their roles, and to take ownership of business functions, become experts, and/or lead teams. We provide training in skills such as project and people management, networking and delivering effective presentations.
- Newstart mentoring scheme
- Opportunities to attend major worldwide industry conferences and events representing the company
- Flexible working hours
- Pension scheme offering 7% employer contributions
- Full pay whilst on Maternity/Partner or Shared Parental Leave
- Free annual membership for this service: Childcare.co.uk.
- Private healthcare insurance
- Free confidential counselling service
- Frequent company social events (social nights, pot luck lunches, gaming, karting, outdoor adventures, and more) (Post-COVID!)
- For applicants relocating to the UK: in addition to the above benefits :
- Childcare Voucher Scheme (for existing members only)
- Bike2Work Scheme
- Season Ticket loans
The ideal candidate is a self-motivated individual who can work through a problem from start to finish, meet deadlines as required to support software projects, and has the ability to work under pressure. You will be working with technology that is seldom announced to the public and could be several years away from public release, so confidentiality is critical. You should be able to work both independently and collaboratively within teams of varying skill sets and expertise. You should be welcoming towards, and able to adapt to, the introduction of new technologies, responsibilities and projects, as Codeplay works with cutting-edge technology and takes on a diverse range of projects.
- At least 12 months experience in a QA role.
- At least 5 years experience in the industry, either as a C++ developer or in QA role, ideally a mixture.
- You are proficient in reading and understanding advanced C++.
- You have a continuous integration mindset.
- You have knowledge of a wide variety of automated testing types and strategies.
- You are self-directed, you can create your own tasks based on high level objectives.
- Given a set of requirements you can develop a plan for testing them exhaustively.
- You can develop argumentation to explain why a given set of tests is sufficient for a given module.
- You can analyse fragmented testing systems to gather data on test coverage.
- You can prioritise and estimate testing activities according to the data you have gathered.
- You have experience with continuous integration systems.
- You are proactive in pointing out areas of improvement.
- You can communicate with highly technical engineers.
- You can create detailed, comprehensive, succinct and well-structured documents.
- You have great written communication skills.
- You are inquisitive and enjoy learning about new technology.
- You are happy to ask questions and learn from others.
Knowledge and/or experience of any of the following would be useful for the role, but are not essential. You must be able to learn new skills, but will be given support from Codeplay's team to get you up to speed.
- C/C++ development experience
- Knowledge of OpenCL/SYCL/CUDA or other similar programming models
- Experience testing runtimes and/or compilers
- Knowledge of how compilers and runtimes work
- Knowledge of clang/LLVM
- Experience measuring quality assurance metrics (e.g. defect densities)
- Experience creating test plans
- Experience of equivalence class partitioning
- Experience of boundary value analysis
- Quality Assurance Qualification
- Experience with Gitlab CI/CD
- Experience with Jenkins
- ISO 9001
- ISO 26262
- Management experience
Any application which results in a job offer is conditional upon the candidate already having or successfully applying for the right to work in the UK. Codeplay is proud to be an Equal Opportunities employer. We celebrate and value diversity. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, regardless of race, colour, gender, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, age, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need and we strongly encourage applicants from all backgrounds and walks of life. We are committed to providing flexible working options such as part-time/compressed hours/timeshifting/remote. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, just let us know.
The Cover Note/Letter is just as important as your CV/Resume, so please include one, stating why you believe you are a good fit for the position. If you have examples of relevant work or projects, we would love to see them, so please include links to them in your application.
If you have C++ Code Samples (where relevant) please put the link to these on your application; however, should you not have any code samples available then this will not prejudice your application. Note our system will only accept links to personal projects/GitHub accounts or PDF documents.