Codeplay is helping to bring about a major change in the high performance computing community by helping software developers to migrate from proprietary programming models like CUDA to open standard SYCL, and we are looking for someone who can help us influence the industry by working directly with and educating developers on SYCL. You will be keen to learn how to develop applications with the SYCL programming model with DPC++ for CUDA, and use that knowledge to help us educate and support developers from high-profile organizations around the world. Your primary role will be to engage directly with organizations using SYCL to help them build performance portable code. You will be involved in writing complex HPC code and supporting developers writing HPC and AI code projects. In addition to this you will educate developers by creating sample code and projects, porting code from C++ and CUDA to SYCL and documenting how this was done through guides, blogs and possibly even videos. You will be using a variety of technologies from the SYCL ecosystem to support developers and show real world use cases for SYCL.
The ideal candidate is someone who is both an experienced software developer and is motivated by helping others, and can work through a problem from start to finish, documenting each step and writing tests to ensure correctness where applicable. You will be comfortable with asking colleagues for help, or scouring documentation for relevant information required to complete tasks. You will also be expected to produce high-quality, readable and well-commented code that will be published as open source and used by the developer community.
The position is permanent and may be based at our head office in central Edinburgh. The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate the right to work in the UK, or be eligible to apply for the right to work, should relocation be an agreed option. We are committed to providing flexible working options such as part-time/compressed hours/timeshifting/remote/hybrid. There is also the potential to work fully remotely from France, Italy, Slovenia, Ireland, Germany, Spain or Poland provided the candidate has the existing Right To Work in the EU.
Positions are available at various levels, from entry-level to senior positions, depending on your skills and experience.
Starting salary: Competitive & Negotiable.
- Be an expert with SYCL and oneAPI
- Working with large and complex HPC projects to support migration and performance optimizations
- Writing sample code to help developers understand how to write SYCL
- Porting and adapting libraries and applications for SYCL
- Writing technical guides, resources and mini applications
- Supporting the developer community to be successful with SYCL and oneAPI
What We Offer
Codeplay is internationally recognized as being at the forefront of software development technology. Working at Codeplay offers unique opportunities and challenges to learn new technologies and to get involved in shaping the software industry. Codeplay's projects range from: creating tools and tool sets (optimizing compilers, debuggers, profilers, programming models & APIs, test systems/suites, etc.) for brand-new unannounced next-generation hardware; developing and optimizing current machine learning (TensorFlow™) and computer vision applications; research and development into lowering the power consumption of mobile devices; and contributing to new programming models and software standards (e.g. C++, SYCL™, OpenCL™, Vulkan® and SPIR™-V).
Codeplay Software is a world pioneer in enabling acceleration technologies used in AI, HPC and automotive. Codeplay was established in 2002 in Edinburgh, Scotland and developed some of the first tools enabling complex software to be accelerated using graphics processors. Today, most AI software is developed using graphics processors designed for video games, and more recently specialised AI and computer vision accelerators. Codeplay continues to work with global technology leaders to make the latest complex AI systems programmable using open-standards based programming languages and allows application developers to quickly bring software to the market. Codeplay is also deeply involved with the definition of open standards, especially OpenCL™, SPIR™, SYCL™, and Vulkan™ through The Khronos Group, and MISRA C++ for automotive.
- A friendly and relaxed working environment where colleagues respect and support each other.
- Learn from experienced colleagues: our staff frequently give company-wide knowledge-sharing presentations on new software and technology trends, personal projects and other relevant subjects.
- Great career prospects within a growing company
- We develop our staff to progress quickly in their roles, and to take ownership of business functions, become experts, and/or lead teams. We provide training in skills such as project and people management, networking and delivering effective presentations.
- Newstart mentoring scheme
- Opportunities to attend major worldwide industry conferences and events representing the company
- Flexible working hours
- Pension scheme offering 7% employer contributions
- Full pay whilst on Maternity/Partner or Shared Parental Leave
- Free annual membership for this service: Childcare.co.uk.
- Private healthcare insurance
- Free confidential counselling service
- Frequent company social events (social nights, pot luck lunches, gaming, karting, outdoor adventures, and more)
- For applicants residing in the UK we can also offer in addition to the above benefits:
- Childcare Voucher Scheme (for existing members only)
- Bike2Work Scheme
- Season Ticket loans
The ideal candidate is a self-motivated individual who can work through a problem from start to finish, meet deadlines as required to support software projects, and has the ability to work under pressure. You will be working on technology that is seldom announced to the public and could be several years away from public release, so confidentiality is critical. You should be able to work both independently and collaboratively within teams of varying skill sets and expertise. You should be welcoming towards, and able to adapt to, the introduction of new technologies, responsibilities and projects, as Codeplay works with cutting-edge technology and takes on a diverse range of projects.
- C++ development experience in an HPC or Parallel Computing context
- Excellent written English and communication skills
- Ability to work effectively in a remote environment
- Working knowledge of source control and configuration management tools
Knowledge and/or experience of any of the following would be useful for the role, but are not essential. You must be able to learn new skills, but will be given support from Codeplay's team to get you up to speed.
- SYCL, OpenCL or CUDA development knowledge
- Technical documentation or blog writing
- Experience working with open source projects
- Experience working with developer communities
- Experience working directly with customers, doing presentations and engaging with developers
Any application which results in a job offer is conditional upon the candidate already having or successfully applying for the right to work in the UK. Codeplay is proud to be an Equal Opportunities employer. We celebrate and value diversity. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, regardless of race, colour, gender, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, age, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need and we strongly encourage applicants from all backgrounds and walks of life. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, just let us know.
The Cover Note/Letter is just as important as your CV/Resume, so please include one, stating why you believe you are a good fit for the position. If you have examples of relevant work or projects, we would love to see them, so please include links to them in your application.
you have C++ Code Samples (where relevant) please put the link to these
on your application; however, should you not have any code samples
available then this will not prejudice your application. Note our system
will only accept links to personal projects/GitHub accounts or PDF